“Canada’s Nuclear Disruption Policy and Countermeasures”
September 19, 2018 – EDMONTON, ALBERTA – News media are invited to the symposium “Canada’s Nuclear Disruption Policy and Countermeasure” hosted by Edmonton United Services Institute on Saturday, September 22, 2018 in Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Nonsuch at 11807 Kingsway NW, Edmonton.
Expert panelists will discuss a variety of topics including:
• historical nuclear threats and dependability on its allies;
• lessons learned from nuclear accidents in Ukraine and Japan;
• measures against or to minimize destruction of property and life;
• current nuclear powers in the world and threat implications;
• Canada’s current policy to minimize destruction and protect property; and
• offer a summary and recommendations.
WHEN: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. onSaturday, September 22, 2018
WHERE: HMCS Nonsuch, 11807 Kingsway NW, Edmonton
– 30 –
Notes to editor / news director:
To confirm attendance, please refer to the Media Contact below.
• Dr. David Marples Chair of the Department of History and Classics, University of Alberta;
• Dr. Aya Fujiwara, Director of Prince Takamado Japan Centre for Teaching and Research, University of Alberta;
• Mr. Norm Leach President, Norman Leach & Associates, Inc., specializing in Integrated Business Consulting and International Trade Development;
• Dr. Christian Leuprecht, Department of Political Science, Royal Military College;
• The Honourable James Bezan, MP, Defence Critic for the Conservative Party of Canada;
• Joe Howard, PhD candidate / Consultant to United Nations;
• Dr. Rob Huebert, Senior Fellow, Centre for Military and Strategic Studies, University of Calgary; and
• Moderated by: The Honourable Laurie Hawn, former MP for Edmonton Centre.
Founded in February 1912, the Edmonton United Service Institute helps Canadians understand their armed forces. Our mission is to promote the welfare of all those who serving and our veterans and to help raise awareness about National Defence concerns among all Canadians. Our annual symposium invites academics, politicians and field workers (NGO’s) to debate and discuss issues affecting defence policies.
Public Relations Director
Edmonton United Services Institute